Proper home cooling has health benefits that family members can enjoy, plus the fact that a cool interior not only makes one comfortable but also productive. Additionally, cooling the home can dramatically cut down your monthly energy consumption and help you save huge dollars in the long run. Simply put, there are far too many great benefits of proper home cooling for you to ignore. If you want to enjoy these benefits, you have to adopt a sensible maintenance plan or follow these proven 10 tips for cooling your home.
10 Home Cooling Tips You Should Follow
Who doesn’t want a home that’s really cool during the summer? The good news: it’s perfectly achievable. However, there are certain things you must do to have a cool temperature inside of your home. Some of them are DIY-tasks so you can easily perform them without any professional help. For other alternatives that require technical knowledge and expertise, you have to find an experienced service provider to get positive results.
Take a look at these 10 tips for cooling your home to enjoy a comfortable indoor all year-round:
- Install home insulation. Insulating the home interiors is a proven way to slash energy bills by as much as 50%. Just remember to go for insulation materials with a high R-value since they are indicative that the materials have a high insulation effectiveness. Home insulation is best installed by a professional.
- Use energy efficient windows and doors. They may seem like an awful expensive investment, but choosing energy efficient windows and doors will pay for themselves in the long run. They help keep outdoor heat out of the interiors and contain the air conditioning and heat inside.
- Mind the location of your furniture and curtains. If your furniture and curtains block the vents of your air conditioning units, you are doing yourself a disfavor since you’re not fully enjoying the cold air from the A/C units. This is easily resolved by simply removing or relocating whatever is blocking the A/C vents so you can fully benefit from the cold air that they produce. Among the 10 tips for cooling your home, you will surely enjoy doing this task since it is the easiest to implement.
- Use window films. For those who want a cost-efficient way of cooling their homes, they should try using window films. These materials effectively block heat and UV rays that don’t just make the interiors hotter but also cause potential damage to interior furniture pieces.
- Go for LEDs or CFLs. These days, a great majority of homeowners are shifting from incandescent bulbs into light-emitting diodes (LEDs) and compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs). These types of lighting emit as much as 50% less heat and consume lower amount of electricity. This makes them truly energy-saving alternatives to the power-guzzling incandescent bulbs.
- Install a cold air return unit. Basements are naturally colder than most parts of any home, which is why a lot of property owners with basements install cold air return units. What these things do is recycle the cold air from the basement and take it to strategic areas inside the house. It’s better to ask the help of professionals when installing this unit since they have the knowledge and the required tools for the installation job.
- Go for light-colored roofing. It’s basic science: light-colored roofing take in much lower amount of heat than dark-colored ones. You can specifically benefit from light-colored roofing during the summer, when the heat outside can seep into the roof especially if they happen to have a dark color.
- Create shade. Having a sort of natural or artificial source of shade close to your home will greatly help maintain a relatively cool indoor temperature during summer months. You can install man-made structures such as pergolas, awnings, and porches, or go for natural shade-giving elements like trees. These shade structures will improve the functionality and appeal of your home. Trees are also great additions to your landscaping.
- Use dehumidifiers. HVAC experts generally recommend installing dehumidifiers inside homes since they greatly aid in toning down the level of humidity. This results in considerably cooler indoor spaces that offer exceptional comfort to occupants. Choose trusted brands to get top-quality dehumidifiers.
- Get your cooling system regularly checked and maintained by experts. Most property owners forget that their A/C systems should be maintained on a regular basis. Over time, your home’s air conditioning units could encounter problems and perform below normal. This could spell a disaster especially if it happens during the summer when outside temperatures greatly affect the temperatures inside homes. You can avoid such negative scenario by having your home cooling system checked and maintained by HVAC experts.
Get the Best Heating and Cooling Services
You can easily improve your cooling system’s efficiency by following our 10 tips for cooling your home. And don’t forget to consult professionals when it comes to technical issues and maintenance tasks. At Professor Gatsby’s Heating & Cooling Services, we make homes comfortable and highly energy-efficient with our professional services. We provide affordable installation, maintenance, and repairs of various heating and cooling systems. We can handle air conditioning units, furnaces, and heating systems. Best of all, we provide our services on a 24/7 basis, so you can call someone quickly when your cooling system suddenly bogs down. Our client base covers owners of residential properties across Turnersville, NJ and nearby cities such as Sewell, Cherry Hill, Marlton, and Glassboro.
Call us today at 856-885-2231 to know more about our cooling and heating services. We look forward to hearing from you and proving to you first-hand why we are one of the state’s finest cooling service providers.